The Peer Water Exchange finds a new home in a community appropriately named Laughing Waters.
PWX now operates out of one the most operationally eco-friendly buildings in Bangalore.
The building runs on solar power (18 photo-voltaic solar panels) and there are two cascaded solar water heaters.
The water system is the most interesting and features:
- – a 17,000 liter underground rainwater harvesting tank
- – a biosand filter for drinking water
- – four recirculation/reuse systems to maximize use and reuse of water
- – bathrooms featuring 4 input water lines: drinking water, regular water, hot water, and grey water
- – a grey water system from the washing machine that goes to flush the toilets
- – grey water systems for irrigation of roof garden.
The first piece of ‘furniture’ purchased was a composting bin!
Then 12 trees were planted, 9 of them fruit trees.
PWX-central is trying to walk the talk and also providing carbon offsets to Blue Planet Run.
Of course you can track down PWX-central on the PWX map! www.peerwater.org/map.